Saturday 15 July 2017

A - Z Guidebook: Sveti Marka Church, Zagreb

Sveti Marka, Zagreb


This is St. Mark's Church in Old Zagreb, Croatia.  As you can see in this photo, when we were there they were doing some refurbs to it.  The city was being renovated for the World Student Games, and there were thousands of athletes filling up the place.  We nearly didn't get a room!  If you check out Google Earth, the Church is now bright white.  Clearly the plaster on the outside has been whitewashed in recent times.


Seeing that this is the last of the A-Z Guidebook posts, I am going to be a bit naughty and add a photo from Google Earth so you can see the difference.  I noticed that this church is now called Svetog Marka; I think the difference is that it was previously in Serbian, and now it is in Croatian. We were there when it was actually still Yugoslavia, rather than Croatia. Yes, quite some time ago!









Can you believe we are up to Z now?  I have been joining in with Fiona from Tiffin Bite-Sized Food Adventures from A to Z, literally:=)   In some ways, this time has flown, but then again, it has also been a long and interesting, jam-packed couple of years.  I am sad to see the last of the A - Z Guidebook, but I know we will all keep travelling and sharing our adventures.  Thanks to Fiona for hosting this mammoth effort.  Adios, amigos!




TIFFIN - bite sized food adventures -

8 comments:

  1. Zagreb is such a great town. We remember it fondly. I remember learning the difference in hand signals in that part of Europe - the thumb was 1, whereas the index finger is 1 for us, so I'd want two of something but end up with three! Great ethnographic museum . . .

    ReplyDelete
  2. A gorgeous picture Sherry and I can't believe you're up to z already! :D Will you just start from A again?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This time has just flown Lorraine. 26 months already! I think it is the end of tiffin Fiona's hosting so now it's just going to be snaps of our own travels as it happens I guess:)

      Delete
  3. Croatia is on my list is on my list. I know a few people who have been and they just loved it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. HI Jem yes it is very beautiful and interesting. and great food too. you must go!:)

      Delete
  4. I would love to visit Zagreb as well! Sometimes I see some good flight deals from London now. We loved the Split area a few years ago, but would love to see more of Croatia....and my how time flies...Z! ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know what you mean Joy. Where did all those years go?!:)

      Delete

I would love to hear from you. Please leave your comment and I will reply as soon as I can. If you have problems commenting, please try without your WordPress profile. You can try Anonymous (add your name in the text) or your Google account if you have one.